Hair Extensions for All Hair Types
There are many hair extensions methods available, but will they work on your hair? Different methods offer different outcomes, and so many of us depend on our stylist to recommend which will suit our hair and not cause damage. The ultimate goal of hair extensions is to allow for longer, thicker, or fuller hair while keeping natural hair healthy. Hair extensions are not one-size-fits-all, therefore, mixing and matching extensions is a perfect option.
Below is a breakdown of popular hair extension methods and which hair type is best suited for them:
1) Hand-tied sew-in weave is a popular method similar to traditional weaves but instead of anchoring hair wefts with braided cornrows, hair is anchored and sewed into micro-links.
This technique works very well on thick-density hair with medium to thick hair strands. The tension from this technique is not recommended for fine hair. If applied to fine hair, careful attention must be paid to not adding too much weight.
2) Tape hair extensions work especially well on fine to medium density hair. Some find if too many tapes are added, they are detectable. They lay flat which is a positive, but on thick hair, many tapes are needed. The tape removal is messy and re-applying tape requires re-taping which is time-consuming.
3) Individual keratin or i-tip hair extensions are applied to 20 or so strands of natural hair and offer 360-degree movement. They work very well on fine hair, undetectable they are best suited for fine to medium textured hair. They last the longest in hair with less maintenance.
4) Pull-Thru Hair Extensions offer optimal hair coverage and work well on medium to thick hair. No glue, tape, or sewing is an added benefit.
What To Do?
Use more than one technique per client, this is called the "hybrid technique," mixing different methods of hair extensions based on hair texture, density, and focusing on the areas of the head that will support the hair extensions without causing undue stress to the hair follicle.
1) Use Veila Pull-Thru or hand-tied technique in the back of the hair where follicles are high density and mixing individual strands (keratin or i-tip) on the nape of the neck, crown, and sides where there is less hair. The pull-thru method is offered in a variety of sizes.
2) Mixing tape hair in the back of the head and cutting tape hair smaller on the sides of the hair. Cutting is an option, as well as applying extra small tape hair (less than 1" width).
4) Cutting Veila hair extension tabs into smaller pieces on lower hair follicle density. Veila is designed to be customizable, and the attachment can be cut without damaging the integrity of the hair extensions.
Our client Lucy has Veila pull-thru extensions in the back and keratin individual strands on the sides. Seek an extension salon/artist that is proficient in all hair extensions techniques and will customize the perfect blend for all hair types.
The Optimal Hair Extensions; Hybrid Technique On Model Lucy
The hybrid technique will keep your own hair healthy while allowing for perfect color blending and undetectable hair extensions! Custom-made hair extensions are designed to mix colors, textures and will create a natural look.
These techniques are meant for all hair textures from straight, wavy, curly, and textured hair.
Research a professional salon that is capable of using the hybrid technique, ask them if they have experience mixing methods. At Noelle Salon, we stock all mentioned hair extension methods to create the most natural and safe hair extensions.
Free consultations are a necessity, you should touch and feel the actual hair extensions prior to application. Be sure to see the actual color being used on your hair, ask if the hair is in stock or needs to be ordered. In-stock hair is preferable - avoid any guesswork the day of your service. What's even better is a salon's ability to offer same-day service by stocking hair extensions. I have clients that ordered hair extensions and they did not arrive on time, and were the wrong color! Stocking hair extensions eliminate this disastrous event.
Hair Extensions Background
At Noelle Salon, we evaluate your natural hair, listen to our client's wishes on styling, color match, and look. We use human hair extensions like 100% Remy human hair, or Virgin Hair (unlike Bellami hair). Hair extensions can be used for short hair or 24 inches of a full head of hair, and have worked with different methods like tape-in extensions, clip-in hair extensions, Keratin and enjoy using our Pull-thru Veila Hair Extensions for ease of hair care. Styling can vary from flat iron, natural curl, or curly hair. Whether you are looking for a change of style or look for a day such as a Clip-in ponytail, having a high-quality ponytail extension can mix it up for you. Your natural hair journey with your hair growth can be enhanced with Hair extensions when protective styling is applied, and regular maintenance is used. You can change your hair in one day - feel free to reach out to us and explore the possibilities.