Bar none, the most natural-looking hair extensions are individual strand types, i.e. micro-link hair extensions and keratin bonded a.k.a. fusion hair. When hair extensions hit the mainstream, 2 types were available individual hair extensions and sew-in weaves. Today, both are available, but the sew-in type has changed from attaching large wefts of hair spanning the head sewn into a cornrow braid to the hair being sewn into a grid of underlying hair locks (beads). Both have their advantages, but the latter will give you more hair per square inch of the head. The sew-in method is not necessarily the best for thin hair and will be more obvious than individual strands.
Both micro-beads and keratin bonded hair extensions are attached to 20 +/- strands of hair, an extension is either melted into the strands or a micro-bead is threaded into the hair, the extension is placed into the bead and clamped down with pliers.
To achieve a natural look, dozens of extensions are placed throughout the head. Be prepared for a long stay during your application.
1) 360-degree movement; the individual strands will move freely, similarly to natural hair, and can be worn up undetectably.
2) Very natural in appearance which will be hard to determine if you are wearing hair extensions. They are definitely recommended for those who prefer their hair not to scream "I am wearing hair extensions!'
3) Longevity; keratin bonded hair extensions stay in the hair for 4 to 5 months with little to no maintenance.
4) Micro-links are reusable and will last in the hair for 8 to 10 weeks, then they are "moved up." The good news is there is no adhesive involved, therefore they will not damage natural hair.
5) Proper placement and application assure no damage; the extensions are placed in rows, a bit less than a 1/4" away from the scalp, the section should be large enough to support the hair extension. This application is tension-free and will not lead to pulling or worse, traction alopecia.
7) Removal is simple, for keratin bonds, a removal solution is dropped directly on the bond, the bond is then cracked and the extension gently pulled off the hair. The micro-link method involves opening the link and removing the extension. In both cases, accumulated natural hair shedding will need to be gently removed. We shed over 100 strands per day and our natural shedding will stay in the extension until it is removed.
Individual Keratin Bonded Hair Extensions
The hand-tied application technique allows for hair wefts such as hand-tied, machine-sewn, flat wefts, and volume wefts to be placed across the head sewing anchored with micro-beads. This technique works especially well for thicker hair types looking for an abundance of hair. Many people have no issue with telling people they are wearing hair extensions. This application may be obvious to some. Remember; part of your hair is left out to cover the extensions (front, sides, crown, and nape of the neck), which makes it difficult to blend seamlessly. In this case, using fewer rows of extensions is a good idea. If the rows are placed too high on the crown of the head, especially at the growth swirl, the hair will split and the extensions will show.
1) Lots of hair extension coverage, which will lead to lots of hair!
2) Re-usable; re-attached or "moved up" every 6 to 8 weeks.
3) Easy blend for thick hair.
4) No adhesive
5) The attachment is not as fragile as individual strands, some use of oils are okay on the scalp.
6) Easier to hide in the hair than tape hair extensions.
Properly applied and maintained hair extensions will avoid damage. Be sure to keep up with maintenance appointments. Any extension left long-term in the hair will lead to damage. More attention is needed at home (your stylist should provide care instructions). Knowing what products work well and what to avoid is important as well as styling techniques.
Your hair extensions are only as good as you treat and maintain them. Consider your lifestyle; sports, gym, time restraints before taking the plunge. Just because everyone seems to be jumping on the extension bandwagon does not mean they will work for you. Research extensions via Youtube or read our in-depth blogs to help in your decision.
Hair Extensions Background
At Noelle Salon, we evaluate your natural hair, listen to our client's wishes on styling, color match, and look. We use human hair extensions like 100% Remy human hair, or Virgin Hair (unlike Bellami hair). Hair extensions can be used for short hair or 24 inches of a full head of hair, and have worked with different methods like tape-in extensions, clip-in hair extensions, Keratin and enjoy using our Pull-thru Veila Hair Extensions for ease of hair care. Styling can vary from flat iron, natural curl, or curly hair. Whether you are looking for a change of style or look for a day such as a Clip-in ponytail, having a high-quality ponytail extension can mix it up for you. Your natural hair journey with your hair growth can be enhanced with Hair extensions when protective styling is applied, and regular maintenance is used. You can change your hair in one day - feel free to reach out to us and explore the possibilities.