A bride-to-be has a lot of wedding planning responsibilities; the venue, the dress, and their "hair," but what if she has hair challenges i.e. hair loss? An approaching wedding seems to be the time that many brides address their hair loss, and our salon is filled with brides looking for hair loss solutions.
How we address their hair loss includes many factors, the main factor is where is the hair loss located, and its severity. Below is a list of types of hair loss conditions, and how we address them, as well as treatment options.
1) Trichotillomania -- a hair-pulling condition, the most commonly affected area is the top of the head. We tie in a scalp prosthesis (hair topper) with a beaded matrix. The topper adds beautiful human hair, restoring its original appearance, and creates a "barrier" to prevent future pulling.
2) Alopecia Areata -- hair loss in patches, this is a difficult hair loss to address. The hair loss can be located anywhere from the top of the head, to patches all over. In the case of top-of-the-head hair loss, we will use a hair topper, with balding patches; we use hair extensions or clip-in hair for the bride. If the hair loss is severe, we may opt for an alopecia wig; with a natural suction.
3) Alopecia Universalis -- This diffuse type of hair loss can be addressed in many ways. 1) hair topper for the top of the head loss, hair extensions if the bride has enough of her own hair to cover them, and/or colored hair fibers. I do not recommend using hair fibers on a daily basis because they can clog the hair follicles. I do recommend using them for a special event such as your wedding! WOW has an amazing product that contains dense hair fibers that can be matched to your natural color. I tend to use hair fibers for mild hair loss.
4) Androgenic Alopecia -- can occur at any age, and is a genetic hair loss condition that leads to diffuse hair loss, particularly at the top of the head. All of the above recommendations are advised.
The above are the most common hair loss conditions, but hair loss can occur from stress, rapid weight loss, medications, menopause, and more.
The best part of all of our treatment options is that we can create a myriad of wedding hairstyles; updo's, half up, boho chic, and ultra-creative upsweeps. All of these looks can be achieved while wearing a hair topper, hair extensions, and a wig! The key is that we are ultra-experienced with styling, cutting, and applying all of them, and a picture will help us to know what you prefer.
You can also wear a headpiece, tiara, decorative combs, and hair adornments. My goal is to let you know that those with hair loss can have as beautiful of a hairstyle for their special day as anyone else!
1) Seek out a hair loss consultation sooner than later, especially if you need a hair topper or wig. In most cases, we have them in stock, but there are many variables such as color, cap size, hair length, and density (for both toppers and wigs).
2) You will want to get used to your new hair, we suggest having hair toppers, wigs, and hair extensions applied two months before the big day.
3) Seek photo inspiration, book a trial, and we will do our level best to replicate your style.
4) Make sure to have your hair accessory/headpiece, and/or veil with you on the day of your trial.
Hopefully, we put you at ease, you will have an amazing wedding hairstyle even if you have hair loss, just plan ahead. We are experts in hair styling for all cultures all hair textures, and this is our passion.
Hair Loss background
With Alopecia Areata, fungal infections, other autoimmune diseases, thinning hair by Trichotillomania which removes hair follicles by physical means. At Noelle Salon, we cover the various approaches to hair solutions to treat hair loss, female pattern baldness, balding spots, and other conditions to which you lose hair. At Noelle Salon, we focus on hair growth techniques. Hair systems and hair extension maintenance is part of the journey while wearing them. For Trichotillomania, as our hair grows they both will loosen, and service is required. The difference between a hair system and hair extensions for Trichotillomania clients varies based on the location of hair loss.