What Causes Hair Extensions To Feel Dry?
Assuming you are using a high-quality hair extension such as Remy or virgin hair, have you considered that you may be over conditioning your hair extensions? Over conditioning is a real thing and will lead to limp, stiff, and very dry hair extensions. Many conditioners contain silicone that will form a hard barrier on your hair extensions as well as your own hair.
I always believed that adding more conditioner to my hair would help to detangle and add shine, but there is a fine line between using an adequate amount of conditioner and overdoing it This also applies to how often you condition. Conditioners with keratin and proteins should also be avoided on hair extensions since they are processed with protein and you do not need to add to more. It is important to find the correct balance of hair conditioner and leave-in products, being too generous with both may be a problem.
An abundance of hair conditioner and leave-in products will have the reverse effect on hair extensions which is to add moisture. Silicone is a hybrid chemical between rubber and plastic, which creates a barrier where nothing can permeate into the hair, hair will feel hard and lifeless.
What To Do?
1) Wash your hair and towel dry fully, add a nickel size amount of conditioner from the mid-length of the hair to the ends. While conditioner is in the hair, use a wide-tooth comb or wet brush to detangle. Rinse thoroughly, I mean thoroughly!
2) Every 4th shampoo, use a clarifying shampoo to remove conditioner residue. Do not rough up your extensions. Remember, conditioner is for your hair, not the scalp.
3) Apple Cider Vinegar rinse; Mix 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar into a 12-ounce cup of tepid water, after shampooing, run the rinse through your hair extensions (use a spray bottle). The rinse will remove all forms of build-up on your hair.
4) Skip conditioning your hair extensions every so often. You may find this to be difficult since your extensions need to detangling, if this is the case water down your conditioner in your palm and apply a small amount to your hair.
5) Detoxify your hair extensions with a "green tea rinse," preferably natural green tea. Green tea has the added benefit of stimulating hair follicles, so mix up enough to treat your scalp and hair. Boil 2 cups of water, add 3 tea bags of green tea, let steep for 10 minutes, allow time for the tea to cool down. Add the tea rinse add the end of your shower, let it sit for 10 minutes before rinsing. I suggest rinsing it off the hair extensions and not leaving it in the hair. Drink a cup for a dose of healthy anti-oxidants.
There are other types of detoxifying products on the market, but I suggest the homemade variety because they are cost-effective and do not contain additional ingredients that may be harmful to hair extensions.
Moderation is the intention, tailoring your hair care routine to your specific hair needs will render the best results. It is best to meet with your stylist for additional advice or before implementing the above. The elements also play a role in the overall health of your hair extensions, such as winter dry heat, summer swimming, wind, hats, scarves, and helmets.
Can you offer some tips and tricks? We want to hear from you, please comment below.
Hair Extensions Background
At Noelle Salon, we evaluate your natural hair, listen to our client's wishes on styling, color match, and look. We use human hair extensions like 100% Remy human hair, or Virgin Hair (unlike Bellami hair). Hair extensions can be used for short hair or 24 inches of a full head of hair, and have worked with different methods like tape-in extensions, clip-in hair extensions, Keratin and enjoy using our Pull-thru Veila Hair Extensions for ease of hair care. Styling can vary from flat iron, natural curl, or curly hair. Whether you are looking for a change of style or look for a day such as a Clip-in ponytail, having a high-quality ponytail extension can mix it up for you. Your natural hair journey with your hair growth can be enhanced with Hair extensions when protective styling is applied, and regular maintenance is used. You can change your hair in one day - feel free to reach out to us and explore the possibilities.