Before considering an amazing mane of hair extensions, it is important to point out some lifestyle changes that may affect your decision to wear hair extensions. As a hair extension expert, I find my clients are more than willing to make some of the changes, but it is important to know of them nonetheless.
MRI - Magnetic Resonance Imaging
The most important consideration is for one that has to have MRIs. As you know, metals are not allowed in an MRI due to burns, and inconsistent results. Hair extensions containing "microbeads" which are made of aluminum, may cause burns in an MRI, similar to nicotine patches which contain traces of aluminum. Aluminum is still a metal albeit not as strong as stainless steel and titanium. In my experience, physicians have had patients wearing extensions attached to microbeads removed due to potential injury. Needing an MRI is not often known, but for those with medical conditions which may lead to an MRI, I would suggest wearing extensions such as; keratin bonded and tape vs. hand-tied method, individual micro-links, and Veila pull-thru. Never wear clip-in hair extensions in an MRI machine.
1) Be prepared to tie your hair back or wear a braid(s) when camping, hiking, skiing, and activities that make you sweat. A bandana is a fashionable way to cover your hair, protect it from the sun and elements.
2) Swimming in the ocean is far better on hair extensions than chlorine, but the best way to keep your hair extensions healthy is to wear a swim cap. If the idea is repulsive, then consider wetting your hair with fresh water before entering a pool or the ocean, this will create a barrier to prevent water from reaching the extensions. When exiting the water, be sure to leave your hair down, brush it out, and let it air dry. Leaving your hair wet and up will prevent it from drying and will lead to tangles.
3) Wind can cause your extensions to tangle, baseball caps and hats will be your best friend.
1) Dry heat leads to dry hair, be prepared to use a leave-in conditioner and hair peptides such as K-18, to add moisture to your hair.
2) Scarves can ruffle up your hair extensions leading to dryness and friction. Use a ponytail while wearing a scarf.
Washing & Drying
1) When washing is sure to dry your hair at least 75% pay extra attention to the attachment area. Leaving your hair wet will lead to brittle hair.
2) You may need to wash your hair more often if you sweat, your natural oil can cause keratin hair extensions and tape extensions to break down sooner than they should.
3) If you have oily hair, separate the hair left out of the extensions (top, crown, and sides) and shampoo/condition. This will cut down on styling time.
1) Wear a ponytail or braid, brush out after working out and consider washing thereafter to remove excessive sweat.
2) If you are a fan of Hot Yoga, opt for hair extension without adhesives (keratin and tape), consider micro-link strands, Veila pull-thru, and sew-in hair extensions.
3) Dry shampoo, applied prior to working out, will help repel oils, but nothing is better than washing hair to remove oil.
Prepare To Purchase Maintenance Products
1) Using sulfate-free shampoo and natural conditioner is a staple in hair extension care.
2) Leave-In conditioners to add moisture and detangle hair extensions.
3) Proper brushes and brushing; such as a loop brush, wet brush, and Denman brush.
4) Extra time to blow-dry and style hair extensions.
1) Hand-tied hair method, micro-link extensions, Veila pull-thru, and tape-in hair extensions are reusable and will need to be moved up and/or reapplied every 6 to 8 weeks. Prepare for more frequent salon visits when wearing these extension types.
2) In most cases, the above-mentioned hair extension will need to be removed prior to highlighting hair and coloring. Planning extension appointments around hair move-ups will save time and money. Keratin extensions last 4 to 5 months and you may color while wearing them.
Understanding lifestyle changes prior to making the decision to wear hair extensions is not often discussed. Knowing what you may or may not encounter will help with your decision.
Hair Extensions Background
At Noelle Salon, we evaluate your natural hair, listen to our client's wishes on styling, color match, and look. We use human hair extensions like 100% Remy human hair, or Virgin Hair (unlike Bellami hair). Hair extensions can be used for short hair or 24 inches of a full head of hair, and have worked with different methods like tape-in extensions, clip-in hair extensions, Keratin and enjoy using our Pull-thru Veila Hair Extensions for ease of hair care. Styling can vary from flat iron, natural curl, or curly hair. Whether you are looking for a change of style or look for a day such as a Clip-in ponytail, having a high-quality ponytail extension can mix it up for you. Your natural hair journey with your hair growth can be enhanced with Hair extensions when protective styling is applied, and regular maintenance is used. You can change your hair in one day - feel free to reach out to us and explore the possibilities.