Short hair is the most challenging hair extensions application which requires expert attention and detail. Thick hair, with a strong weight line, requires blending techniques, while thin will require hair extensions that lay flat such as; Veila pull-thru, sew-in technique, and tape hair extensions. Nothing is impossible to achieve when a hairstylist with years of experience and many extension applications under their belt. Below are some tips for thin and thick hair, medium texture hair poses less of a challenge. Individual strands are easily hidden in fine hair but are not necessarily the best option for short/thick hair since there may not be enough headspace to apply enough extensions for a seamless blend.
Tips For Short Fine Hair
1) A reverse application from top to bottom is the best way to go. When working with thin hair, we start the application at the top sides and crown of the head, not at the nape of the neck. Most of us are taught to start our application below the occipital bone (mid-part) of the head. Applying for hair extensions at the sides and crown, and blending in short strands into the extensions will allow for better blending, then address the back of the head.
2) Mapping out the number of extensions and size of the head before applying will ensure proper blending as well as establishing a price for the extensions. This will avoid any unforeseen overcharges.
3) Using a hybrid technique (mixing extensions methods), will address which hair extensions will work best for thin areas vs. higher density areas of the head.
4) Be prepared to have a layered style. Layers blend short hair to the extensions avoiding harsh steps and the "mullet style." Layers are created using a feather razor or a cutting shear glide technique which subtly texturizes the ends of the extensions.
Yodit used tape extensions to create this natural-looking bob style on short hair.
Tips For Thick Hair
1) The above reverse application will enable your stylist to blend thick hair into hair extensions. Thick hair will easily support the weight from hair extensions, therefore, extra hair will be applied to the sides and crown of the hair.
2) Prepare for extra time to dry and style when hair is thick. Thick hair requires double the amount of hair extensions which equates to more time styling.
3) Hair thinning or texturizing on the top layer of hair will enable a seamless blend from your natural hair to the hair extensions. We prefer to only cut the top layers left out to hide the extensions versus the entire head of hair.
4) The hybrid technique also works extremely well on thick hair, combining hand-tied hair with Veila Pull-Thru hair extensions will keep hair healthy and avoid tension on natural hair.
Diane Fritz used Veila Pull-Thru Hair Extensions to add length to thick hair! Her client's hair was not colored, notice how much healthier hair looks.
Both thin and thick short hair have hurdles to overcome when applying length with hair extensions, curling the hair will help to hide hair the hair attachments. Many use hair extensions to grow in their hair during that "awkward growth stage," and by the next few appointments plan on easier blending and fewer hair extensions applied, as well as a decrease in cost.
The goal is to keep your natural hair healthy and if your ultimate goal is to eventually not wear extensions, then hair masks and treatments will keep hair pliable and supple. Backcombing, a.k.a teasing your hair, will also help to hide hair extensions attachments at the top of the head. In the 1960s, 70s, and 80s a tight hair tease created a ton of volume, today I suggest a few strokes of backcombing with a comb or teasing brush simply to hide hair extensions.
When hair extensions are difficult to blend, I often suggest adjusting the desired length from extremely long hair to mid-length hair (just below or above the bra strap), the shorter the overall length, the better the hair extensions blend into natural hair.
Are you longing to lengthen your hair? Please feel free to comment below with any questions, or share an extension experience.
Hair Extensions Background
At Noelle Salon, we evaluate your natural hair, listen to our client's wishes on styling, color match, and look. We use human hair extensions like 100% Remy human hair, or Virgin Hair (unlike Bellami hair). Hair extensions can be used for short hair or 24 inches of a full head of hair, and have worked with different methods like tape-in extensions, clip-in hair extensions, Keratin and enjoy using our Pull-thru Veila Hair Extensions for ease of hair care. Styling can vary from flat iron, natural curl, or curly hair. Whether you are looking for a change of style or look for a day such as a Clip-in ponytail, having a high-quality ponytail extension can mix it up for you. Your natural hair journey with your hair growth can be enhanced with Hair extensions when protective styling is applied, and regular maintenance is used. You can change your hair in one day - feel free to reach out to us and explore the possibilities.