Preserving your investment and beautiful new hair extensions is the ultimate goal in keeping your extensions healthy and long-lasting. There are simple adjustments both with styling and lifestyle that will help you to have a superior extension wearing experience.
I once had a client enter a hot tub while wearing her hair down, her beautiful hair was sucked into the jets of the hot tub, her extensions became a complete disaster.
1) Wash your hair often enough to control oil build-up. Oil has a strange way of breaking down hair extension attachments such as; keratin bonds, i-tips, and tape. Washing will vary based on your own oil production and is extremely important in keeping the attachment healthy which will lead to less shedding.
2)Use a shampoo and conditioner best suited for your hair type (your stylist will help). Be sure to use your fingers or a suitable brush or wide tooth comb to detangle your hair. You may want to comb through your hair while the conditioner is on which will help in the detangling process.
3) Do wear a bathing cap in chlorine, if this is not possible, then rinse your hair with fresh water prior to swimming. Freshwater will create a barrier to help chlorine from permeating into your hair.
4) Do dry your hair, especially at the roots. I recommend letting your hair air dry for a bit, then blow-dry section by section. Separate your hair into quadrants, then rows of hair, and blow-dry.
5). When sleeping, put your hair in a loose braid to avoid knots. A silk pillowcase reduces friction and prevents tangles.
6). Be sure to not sleep with your hair wet. Wet hair swells and will cause tangles. This habit will also break down the attachment area.
7). Use a cold styling method such as velcro rollers either under a hooded dryer or on dry hair. They will smooth the hair extensions and add volume.
8). Use a treatment mask such as; Olaplex, Truss Miracle, and Brazilian Blowout on a monthly basis and more often in the dry winter months.
9) Consider a filtered shower head if you have well water. Well water is filled with minerals such as copper which will not only destroy your hair extensions but wreaks havoc on your skin.
Follow These Do's and Don'ts To Keep Your Extensions Healthy
1) Don't wash or blow-dry your hair upside down.
2) Set your curling/flat iron temperature at approximately 350 degrees. The use of these styling implements at 400 to 450 degrees will burn your own hair and ruin your hair extensions. Be sure to use a heat protectant before using these tools.
3) Don't color or perm your hair extensions. A caveat, this does not apply to virgin unprocessed hair.
4) When washing your hair extensions, do not over scrub or rough up your hair extensions. Gently shampoo, but scrubbing your scalp is okay.
5). Don't skimp on the quality of your hair extensions. Virgin (one donor) hair will last the longest without the hassle of breakage and drying out.
6). Don't overuse oil-based products such as argan oil, jojoba oil, and coconut oil. These humectant products do lock in moisture but can also build up and dry hair.
7) Don't use products with alcohol. Hair spray contains mostly alcohol so use it sparingly.
8) Don't overuse silicone-based products. Many detangling products contain silicone which will build upon your hair over time leading to dryness. Simply read the ingredients of your products and look for ingredients such as "dimethicone" or any ingredient ending in "one."
8). The use of protein products should be avoided on hair extensions. The extensions are infused with protein and do not need any additional protein layering. Look out for products containing keratin, milk, soy, and wheat. It's best to get your protein for the food you ingest.
Forge a relationship with your hairstylist and be sure to have a dialog about proper extension maintenance. There may be other tips that can help when caring for your hair extensions that are individual to your own hair needs.
I offer a free two-week check-in to address any client concerns. Over two weeks you may have additional questions that need to be answered. Also, ask for a hair care sheet either printed or emailed. You can refer back to your instructions when in doubt or need additional information.
Hair Extensions Background
At Noelle Salon, we evaluate your natural hair, listen to our client's wishes on styling, color match, and look. We use human hair extensions like 100% Remy human hair, or Virgin Hair (unlike Bellami hair). Hair extensions can be used for short hair or 24 inches of a full head of hair, and have worked with different methods like tape-in extensions, clip-in hair extensions, Keratin and enjoy using our Pull-thru Veila Hair Extensions for ease of hair care. Styling can vary from flat iron, natural curl, or curly hair. Whether you are looking for a change of style or look for a day such as a Clip-in ponytail, having a high-quality ponytail extension can mix it up for you. Your natural hair journey with your hair growth can be enhanced with Hair extensions when protective styling is applied, and regular maintenance is used. You can change your hair in one day - feel free to reach out to us and explore the possibilities.