Keratin-bonded hair extensions have made a resurgence over the last year, mainly due to the fact that they are easily hidden in hair, they last the longest, and they are the most natural looking. Beaded row hair extensions are very popular, but not meant for all hair textures, particularly fine hair. They are not as versatile as keratin hair extensions which are placed on individual strands of hair, they offer 360-degree mobility, and can be worn up.
10 Tips to care for Keratin Bonded Hair Extensions
1) Brush from roots to ends to avoid tangling. I recommend a wet brush or a wide toothcomb. As your hair grows, shedding will accumulate above the bonded area, and this is due to shedding, it is important to detangle the shedding by brushing.
2) Dry your hair, or at least dry the area of the bonded attachments.
3) Never go to bed with wet hair. When sleeping, tie back your hair in a low ponytail or braid. A silk scarf will prevent friction if you move a lot at night.
4) Wash your hair as often as possible to avoid natural oil build-up. Your own oil, and sweat, will make the bonds decay; therefore; wash as often as necessary.
5) Do not use oil or serums directly on the keratin bonds. It is best to use leave-in products from the mid-shaft of the hair to the ends of the hair.
6) Wear a swim cap when swimming, if this is not possible, wet your hair with fresh water prior to entering a chlorinated pool or salt water. The freshwater creates a barrier that will help prevent damage. Immediately after swimming, let your hair down and allow it to air dry.
7) If you have oily hair, use dry shampoo. The trick is to use the dry shampoo on the keratin bonds after washing and blow-drying. The dry shampoo will help to repel oil and sweat.
8) When wearing a helmet, of any kind, tie your hair back and wrap a silk scarf around your head. The silk scarf will keep your hair extensions in place, as well preventing friction that will lead to tangling.
9) Do not use bleach on hair extensions, it is important to note that hair extensions are processed with a dye similar to clothing dye, and bleaching will destroy your hair extensions.
10) Do not use thermal heat ( curl iron or flat iron) near the keratin bonds, in fact, cool the hair flat ironed above the bonds -- the high heat from a flat iron will melt the bonds.
Other Tips for Keratin Bonded Hair Extensions
You can wear your keratin hair extensions for up to 5 months, and in between visits, we can do a shedding cleanup. This involves carefully cutting away natural hair shedding that accumulates above the bonds. The purpose of this cleanup is to avoid matting from natural hair fall. I recommend a cleanup at approximately two and a half months after the initial installation.
We generally do not reuse the hair extensions since the length will be shorter, and they tend to shed and become thin. If you are on a budget, we can carefully remove the hair extensions, collect, wash, and re-install them. We use a heated keratin adhesive, but it is not as strong as the keratin bond material. We do not recommend using nail glue -- it will destroy your own hair when removed. Rebonds are another option, but they are not as perfect as the initial install.
At Noelle Salon, we offer a variety of methods of hair extensions, keratin individual strands are only one type. We offer a free consultation to help determine which method of hair extensions will work best for you and your lifestyle. We have our own brand of hair extensions available for immediate application. Our Veila hair extension brand is made of Virgin (one-donor) hair, and whether you choose our pull-thru method, tape-in hair extensions, genius wefts, volume wefts, or hand-tied wefts, you can be assured that the quality is superior. In addition to different methods of hair extensions, we have a variety of hair textures such as; straight, wavy, and various curly textures.
Hair Extensions Background
At Noelle Salon, they evaluate your natural hair, and listen to the client's wishes on styling, color match, and look. They use human hair extensions like 100% Remy human hair, or Virgin Hair (unlike Bellami hair). Hair extensions can be used for short hair or 24 inches of a full head of hair, and they have worked with different methods like tape-in extensions, clip-in hair extensions, Keratin and enjoy using the Veila Pull-thru method with the Veila Hair Extensions for ease of hair care. Styling can vary from flat iron, natural curl, or curly hair. Whether you are looking for a change of style or look for a day such as a Clip-in ponytail, having a high-quality ponytail extension can mix it up for you. Your natural hair journey with your hair growth can be enhanced with Hair extensions when protective styling is applied, and regular maintenance is used. You can change your hair in one day - feel free to reach out and explore the possibilities.