It has been a grueling process to determine which product line to invest in that will give the ultimate results on fine hair with hair extensions. Fine hair is challenging, this is because roots tend to become oily, all the while the mid-shaft to ends of the hair extensions require hydration! After working with many brands of shampoo/conditioner, and leave-in products - my experience has brought some recommendations.
I have come to the conclusion that Moroccan Oil has some of the better products, but I do encourage you to test products on your own hair, this is just for fine hair. Hair Extensions do not receive the same amount of natural oil, as your own hair does, therefore; I suggest brushing from roots to ends with a boars bristle brush to help distribute your own oil. For fine hair, you can do a split wash, meaning only wash the top of your head where the extensions are not present, be sure to dry your hair thoroughly.
Here are my recommendations for washing fine hair with hair extensions;
1) Use Moroccan Oil Repair Shampoo, for best results I suggest 2 washes. If you feel your hair has enough moisture, skip conditioning, and use Moroccan Oil's "All In One Leave-In Conditioner." Apply the leave-in conditioner from mid-shaft to the ends of your hair, and brush through your hair to detangle. I put a few pumps in my hand, avoiding the scalp, and distribute a small amount at the top of the head.
2) If your hair feels "hard," then shampoo, and add a bit of Moroccan Oil Repair Conditioner from mid-shaft to ends (avoiding your scalp). Moroccan Oil shampoo/conditioner is ultra-hydrating, a little goes a long way. Follow with applying the "All In One Leave In Conditioner," as explained above.
3) If you have a very oily scalp, you can use Moroccan Oil Volume Shampoo, this is a lighter-weight shampoo, but I recommend using this one time per week. The Volume line helps to remove oil and sweat from the hair, but if your hair feels dry, use the leave-in conditioner from mid-shaft to ends.
4) I do not recommend using the Moroccan Oil Original Treatment on fine hair, but you can use it on the very ends of your hair extensions, especially if they feel dry. The Original formula is an actual oil and will not only help to seal in moisture but will protect the ends of your hair extensions from becoming dry and unmanageable.
5) For Those with a very oily scalp, I recommend Moroccan Oil Dry Shampoo, but I use it in the reverse of its recommended use. I apply the dry shampoo on clean hair extensions, immediately after washing and drying. The dry shampoo will work as a repellent to prevent oil build-up, and it smells so wonderful. What is even better is that their dry shampoo is offered in dark and light tones. Other products are white in color and can look like dandruff.
There are many products in the Moroccan Oil line, The Hydrating Shampoo and conditioner work well on medium to thick hair density! The scent of the product is so popular and beloved that the brand has launched a full line of bath and body care! Your skin can feel and smell as fresh as your hair!
This is an unsolicited review of the Moroccan Oil brand, and I feel confident that the product will keep your hair extensions hydrated and silky. You can find the brand in professional salons, Sephora, and online sites. I do recommend supporting your local salon by purchasing the products there! We offer better prices, stand behind our products, and will give you advice.
Links for Amazon purchases
Repair Shampoo & Conditioner
All In One Leave In
If you have any product recommendations, feel free to share them below in the comment section. We especially want to hear about what products work best for hair with hair extensions.
Hair Extensions Background
At Noelle Salon, they evaluate your natural hair, and listen to the client's wishes on styling, color match, and look. They use human hair extensions like 100% Remy human hair, or Virgin Hair (unlike Bellami hair). Hair extensions can be used for short hair or 24 inches of a full head of hair, and they have worked with different methods like tape-in extensions, clip-in hair extensions, Keratin and enjoy using the Veila Pull-thru method with the Veila Hair Extensions for ease of hair care. Styling can vary from flat iron, natural curl, or curly hair. Whether you are looking for a change of style or look for a day such as a Clip-in ponytail, having a high-quality ponytail extension can mix it up for you. Your natural hair journey with your hair growth can be enhanced with Hair extensions when protective styling is applied, and regular maintenance is used. You can change your hair in one day - feel free to reach out and explore the possibilities.