I am addressing washing and styling an attached human hair topper, which is different than washing and styling a clip-on hair topper aka, hair piece. At our salon, we attach our hair toppers with a beaded matrix, therefore, there is no glue, tape or sewing. This attachment process is gentle on natural hair but does require a bit more attention to avoid the hair topper from slipping.
We provide beautiful human hair toppers for all types of hair loss from alopecia (men, women, transgender clients, trichotillomania, balding, medications, and menopause.
1) Using a wet brush (detangling brush), gently comb your topper while it is dry prior to washing. We do this because hair is weakest when wet, and it is best to detangle it prior to washing.
2) Wash your hair in a shower (never upside down or with your head back), since it can loosen the attachments. Wet hair and apply a moisturizing shampoo from roots to ends, work the shampoo through the topper with your fingers, and never scrub. I recommend two shampoos to clean the topper thoroughly, but if you are in a dry climate, one shampoo may be sufficient. If you find the shampoo is not spreading enough, use your wet brush to help distribute it all over the head. Use warm water since very hot water will dry out the hair topper. Hold the hair topper at the top of the head, to ensure it does not move.
3) It is essential to thoroughly rinse the shampoo out of the topper, take an extra few minutes to do so. I recommend rinsing a hair topper more than natural hair.
4) Towel dry the hair topper and apply moisturizing hair conditioner from mid-shaft to ends of the hair topper. Once again, use a wet brush or wide-tooth comb to detangle, and distribute the product. You do not want to add conditioner to the scalp portion since it may loosen the attachment. Thoroughly rinse with warm water.
5) Towel dry the hair topper thoroughly, now apply a leave-in conditioner from mid-shaft to ends, avoiding the base of the hair topper.
6) Blow dry the topper on medium-high heat, a boars bristle brush will help to keep the hair topper shiny. Pay special to drying the base of the topper where the hair topper is attached.
7) I recommend limiting the use of hot irons and flat irons, but if you do, use a low setting no higher than 350 degrees.
If your head is itchy, we have a soothing solution that you can use at the base of the hair topper that will help to calm the feeling.
During the winter months, dry heat may cause the topper to feel dry; therefore, adjust the amount of time you shampoo per week, and possibly add more leave-in conditioner for moisture.
During hot weather, you can shampoo more often to avoid oily hair which may cause the topper to slip.
Take advantage of our hair topper quick tightening service; this is 15-minute visit where we tighten your hair topper.
Our hair toppers have made a huge difference in the lives of those with hair loss, especially Trichotillomania since it creates a barrier to help prevent pulling.
Trans-women, with hair loss, love hair toppers! Many have grown their own hair, but are hair deficient at the top of the head. A hair topper solves the problem while adding beautiful quality human hair. In the photo is a combination of hair extension, with a hair topper. This system will last for almost a year (with daily wear), and a monthly maintenance is required. This is such a better option than an unnatural looking, and uncomfortable wig.
Creating the perfect style is our forte, we offer free consultations via our online booking. Look for "Hair Topper Free Consultations," we will evaluate your hair loss situation, and offer our best advice!
Hair Extensions Background
At Noelle Salon, they evaluate your natural hair, and listen to the client's wishes on styling, color match, and look. They use human hair extensions like 100% Remy human hair, or Virgin Hair (unlike Bellami hair). Hair extensions can be used for short hair or 24 inches of a full head of hair, and they have worked with different methods like tape-in extensions, clip-in hair extensions, Keratin and enjoy using the Veila Pull-thru method with the Veila Hair Extensions for ease of hair care. Styling can vary from flat iron, natural curl, or curly hair. Whether you are looking for a change of style or look for a day such as a Clip-in ponytail, having a high-quality ponytail extension can mix it up for you. Your natural hair journey with your hair growth can be enhanced with Hair extensions when protective styling is applied, and regular maintenance is used. You can change your hair in one day - feel free to reach out and explore the possibilities.