How To Keep Your Scalp Healthy With Hair Extensions
Keeping your scalp healthy and clean while wearing hair extensions is so important. Many types of hair extensions are applied against the scalp, and this area, in particular, should be well cared for to avoid dandruff or mold. Yes, mold can occur on your scalp if the hair is not washed frequently or is left wet/damp. These scalp issues do not arise with individual strand extensions such as; keratin bonded, and i-tip extensions, but do arise with heavier types of hair extensions such as hair weaves, hand-tied application, and tape-in hair.
If you have experienced scalp issues in the past, reconsider hair extensions since they may exacerbate scalp problems.
Properly "cared for" hand-tied hair extensions (see below) have the proper maintenance the results are amazing. This client keeps up with her maintenance appointments, her own hair is growing perfectly and she looks absolutely gorgeous with her long hair, but just as beautiful with her natural hair!
A healthy scalp will ensure proper hair growth while wearing hair extensions. When extensions are not properly washed and cared for, bacteria and fungus may develop, The most common are Staphylococcus and Cutibacterium which can lead to folliculitis. This can be avoided by taking some simple steps!
What To Do
1) Most importantly, you must wash your hair one to two times per week with the right products, some being covered here.
2) Dry your hair completely, especially where the extensions are attached.
3) Take action by frequently having your hair specialist check your hair/scalp at your salon.
4) Look out for dandruff on the scalp
5) Keep up with move-up appointments
6) The over-use of dry shampoo products may clog the hair follicle and create issues.
1) Anti-microbial shampoo, use it on your scalp to remove any issues relating to parasitics.
2) Anti-bacterial hair spray, such as; Biosilk Anti-Bacterial Spray. Use this product one to two times per week.
3) Consider the use of Scalp Antiseptic such as "Sea Breeze" to ensure your scalp is at its best. Apply it to your dry scalp, massage it well, wash it out thoroughly, and condition your hair.
4) Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse. I suggest leaving the solution on for 5 minutes, then proceeding with a thorough wash.
Cost-effective products for a healthy scalp.
The Next Level
If your scalp is itchy, flaky, or in any type of pain, remove the hair extensions. You may need a visit to your physician. This is very uncommon, but as previously mentioned, avoidable with proper scalp care.
As much as I love sharing the life-changing benefits of beautiful also must share the possible downside. All-be-it scalp issues from hair extensions are rare, it is best to be proactive to avoid them. Understanding the extra care of hair extensions will help you to decide if they are for you.
At a free consultation; the first question I ask is if my client is ready for the extra time and care hair extensions require. Many find the benefit outweighs the care, while others may feel the care does not fit into their lifestyle. It is very important to communicate your concerns or potential scalp/hair issues.
Hair Extensions Background
At Noelle Salon, we evaluate your natural hair, listen to our client's wishes on styling, color match, and look. We use human hair extensions like 100% Remy human hair, or Virgin Hair (unlike Bellami hair). Hair extensions can be used for short hair or 24 inches of a full head of hair, and have worked with different methods like tape-in extensions, clip-in hair extensions, Keratin and enjoy using our Pull-thru Veila Hair Extensions for ease of hair care. Styling can vary from flat iron, natural curl, or curly hair. Whether you are looking for a change of style or look for a day such as a Clip-in ponytail, having a high-quality ponytail extension can mix it up for you. Your natural hair journey with your hair growth can be enhanced with Hair extensions when protective styling is applied, and regular maintenance is used. You can change your hair in one day - feel free to reach out to us and explore the possibilities.